Thursday, March 26, 2009

INTRODUCTION

I have chosen to research and write my blog about tattooing as a cultural practice in the United States with roots worldwide. This is a site for cross-cultural encounter for me because growing up in an upper-middle class area, I was not exposed to the sub-culture of tattooing as much as I think I could have been. Why people choose to put something so permanent on their body has always puzzled me. I hope to learn the history of tattooing and which cultures it is prominent in. I want to understand what satisfaction people get out of displaying something on their body forever. Do they ever regret it? Is it more popular in certain cultures or within certain socioeconomic classes? If what the person is getting tattooed is so important to them, then why are they searching for a place on their body where it won't be visible? While tattooing is a fairly common practice in the United States (with one in seven North Americans having a tattoo), I still think it is appropriate for some investigation. I hope that through interviews and extensive research I will be able to completely understand the nature of the practice and the stories behind those who choose to partake.

No comments:

Post a Comment