Friday, May 1, 2009

NA NA NA NA, HEY HEY HEY, GOODBYE

I have thoroughly enjoyed my research that I have conducted throughout the semester. I have seen the deep relations that my topic has to my anthropology course. One of the biggest things away I have taken away from my research and from this course, is that we cannot judge something unfamiliar to us. If we choose to judge, we will be ignorant to the beliefs of others. As I have read through my classmates' blogs, I have discovered that there are so many ways of life and choices that people make that on first thought, I would judge, but after thorough explanation, I can understand.

My original hesitations towards tattoos were somewhat immature, and after researching all different aspects of the practice, I have truly come to understand the culture. I still would not want to get a tattoo, but I believe I understand the practice enough not to judge the practice, and to have a well-researched opinion. I believe that this cross-cultural investigation has helped me to understand a cultural practice that I didn't before. A lot of information and consideration has changed my views. I think the most valuable part of my research was learning about the September 11th display of photographs of tattoos on firemen and friends and family of victims on Staten Island. This exhibit was a revolutionary display of tattooing as art and as memories. It showed me that tattooing can, ironically, be a form of healing. People deal with hardship in different ways, and tattooing the name, the picture, or a memory of a deceased loved one is possibly very helpful. Not saying that everyone suffering should be tattooed, but I now understand why one might want to. It is a constant memory, a dedication to someone who was once so close. Through my research, I also learned the history of tattooing, and that it has rituals that have lasted through thousands of years. Tattooing is a cultural practice, and although it might not be something I was originally comfortable with or accepting of, it is now something that I understand.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment